Standard Drink Calculator
Convert your drinks into standard drink sizes
What is a standard drink?
A Canadian standard drink contains 17.05mL (0.5765oz)1
of pure ethanol.
Learning to count drinks?
- 340 mL bottle of light beer (3.7% alcohol) = 0.7 standard drinks
- 355 mL can of extra strength beer (8% alcohol) = 1.7 standard drinks
- 500 mL can of cider (4.5% alcohol) = 1.3 standard drinks
- 750 mL bottle of wine (12% alcohol) = 5.3 standard drinks
- 9 oz glass of wine (14% alcohol) = 2.1 standard drinks
- 2 oz shot of spirits (40% alcohol) = 1.3 standard drinks
Reduce your alcohol-related health risks2
by drinking no more than:
- 10 drinks a week for women, with no more than 2 drinks a day most days.
- 15 drinks a week for men, with no more than 3 drinks a day most days.
Plan non-drinking days every week to avoid developing a habit. On special occasions, reduce your risk of injury and harm by drinking no more than 3 drinks (for women) or 4 drinks (for men) on any single occasion.
Note: The mathematical formula for calculating a standard drink using millilitres (mL) is: ((container volume in mL x % alcohol by volume)/(17.05mL of ethanol))/100
1 Ounces (oz) are Imperial fluid ounces (rather than US fluid ounces).
2 Alcohol consumption can cause cancer and other acute and chronic health issues.